Teen Philosophers Cafe
Surrey has a high population of youth. In fact, according to the SurreyCares Youth Vital Signs Report (2015), 22% of youth in Metro Vancouver live in Surrey, and more children and youth aged 10-24 live in Surrey than any city other than Vancouver. A young city brings many opportunities and challenges, and the Teen Philosophers’ Café’s are a safe space for youth to discuss these challenges and opportunities with other youth and adult allies. We hope to see you there!
The Teen Cafes will take place on one Thursday per month at the City Centre Library (room 402) during the regular Youth Leadership Development Program. All youth are welcome. Sessions will be co-moderated by youth and adults. Please see below for the monthly schedule and topics:
- Thursday January 26th, 6:30pm
- Topic: Living life with a physical disability - breaking down the stigma and stereotypes
- Thursday February 23rd, 6:30pm
- Topic: Mental health and mindfulness – the importance of learning how to cope, and reaching out when you can’t.
- Thursday March 30th, 6:30pm
- Topic: Racism at school - is it individual or is it systemic? How do we confront it?
- Thursday April 27th, 6:30pm
- Topic: Finding self-confidence and believing in yourself through life's challenges
- Thursday May 25th, 6:30pm
- Topic: Non-physical bullying - the power of language and the impacts of social media
- Thursday June 22nd, 6:30pm
- Topic: When life gives you stress, make pancakes. The importance of self-care in getting through tough times.