Racing Readers is a program created in partnership with the Surrey School District and the SFU Surrey – TD Community Engagement Centre. This after-school program is designed to fill the need for an increased level of physical activity, literacy and numeracy skills among children in grades 2-5. Racing Readers will operate after school from October to June at:
- Betty Huff Elementary School once per week on Tuesdays 2:30PM-4:30PM, and
- Newton Elementary School once per week on Wednesdays 2:30PM-4:30PM
The program will seek to improve the well being of students in physical, educational, and social areas. Students will be lead through the program by high school and university student mentors who will foster companionship, support, and learning. Throughout the program, children will participate in physical activities, reading, writing and numeracy exercises, and will be served a healthy snack. At the end of the program, students will have the opportunity to celebrate their progress and success in both the physical and literacy aspects of the program.
The following is a sample daily schedule:
2:30pm - students arrive, attendance taken, team check-ins
2:40pm - word of the day discussion and writing in journals
3:00pm - circuit training / stretching / warm-up
3:10pm - games
3:25pm - running
3:55pm – snack
4:10pm - reading or numeracy activities
4:30pm - clean up / student dismissal
4:45pm – debrief
Learn more about the program by reading the following volunteer testimonials!
- How Do You Engage the World? Start by Engaging in Surrey!
Racing Readers in the News!
- Racing to Read
- Racing Readers gain ground on fitness and literacy
- Racing Readers inspires literacy, fitness – and fun – during B.C. Family Literacy Week
- Racing Readers inspires literacy, fitness and fun
WANT TO WORK WITH US OR VOLUNTEER? WE'RE CURRENTLY RECRUITING!